The Terra Cotta Advantage
- 100% NATURAL SUSTAINABLE DESIGN
- Low cost recyclable raw material
- No harmful or endangered raw materials necessary.
- Modern tunnel kilns energy efficient.
- Rejected or broken clay can be crushed and reused.
- 95% of production waste is recycled (clay, water, glazes).
- Materials are Class A fire rated and do not burn.
- Low life cycle costs compared to less expensive alternatives.
- Long-term economic and environmental advantages.
- Color-permanent material that lasts over 100 years.
Reducing Energy Consumption
Energy savings exceeding 20% are common with a Ludowici roof (Cooling cost savings vs. asphalt, Florida Solar Energy Center 2008). With 28 standard colors (and the capability of making more) that meet a Solar Reflective Index (SRI) of greater than 29, Ludowici offers proven energy efficiency without limiting color choices. Finally, explore Ludowici’s suncreen system to discover more ways to save energy throughout the building envelope. Click Here
Ludowici tiles are made of local and natural materials (clay and water) through a unique process which creates no waste. Moreover, all Ludowici products are 100% recyclable. The tiles are chemically inert, making them forever safe. They may be reused to create a beautiful vintage roof and at the end of their lifespan, they can be recycled and used as gravel walkways, filler, or filter components for future construction.
- Energy Star
- The Cool Roof Rating Council
- Cradle to Cradle.
US Green Building Council
SS Credit 7.2 – Heat Island Effect
1 LEED Point can be earned for LEED approved colors that meet a SRI >29
MR Credit 4 – Recycle Content
If the total PRI content of all the materials used for a building totals to 10% = 1 LEED Point or 20% = 2 LEED Points. Ludowici clay tile has a post recyclable content of 3%
MR Credit 5.1 Regional Materials
1 LEED point can be earned if the manufacturing location is within 500 miles of the jobsite.
The Cool Roof Rating Council is an independent, non-bias organization whose mission is to implement and communicate fair, accurate and credible radiative energy performance rating systems for roof surfaces. Ludowici Roof Tile has over 26 colors rated with the Cool Roof Rating Program. See back page for CRRC accredited colors.
General Description of Certification Requirements
- All chemicals in product identified down to 100ppm level (0.01%)
- No PVC, chloroprene, or related chemical at any concentration
- All materials and chemicals assessed for toxicity to human and environmental health
- Strategy developed to optimize all remaining problematic chemicals
- All materials defined as technical nutrients to be recycled or biological nutrients to be composted
- Halogenated hydrocarbon content < 100ppm
- Toxic heavy metal content (Pb, Hg, Cd, Cr+6)<100ppm
- Material Reutilization score >=50
- Quantify the energy required for manufacturing (final assembly)
- Characterize energy sources and develop strategy for including renewable energy
- Adopt company wide water stewardship principles or guidelines