Like all terra cotta manufacturers, Ludowici Roof Tile offers products covering a wide price range. Several of the primary factors influencing cost are outlined below. Ludowici can provide terra cotta roof tiles and accessory packages to fit most budgets; material costs for some profiles start as low as $3 per square foot.
Cost Factors — Production:
- Manufacturing facility
- Kiln technology
- Raw material availability and quality
- Pre-production clay preparation
- Type of production line (automated vs. labor-intensive)
- Natural gas costs
- Quality level of terra cotta tile produced
- All Ludowici terra cotta tiles are ASTM C1167 Grade 1 certified.
Cost Factors — Tile Profile:
- Size and shape of terra cotta tile
- Pieces per square (1 square = 100 ft of roof area): Fewer pieces per square means lower material and installation costs.
- Surface texture and treatment (brushed, weathered, scored, sanded, etc)
- Color (clay body type, matte glaze, gloss glaze, etc)
Cost Factors — Installation:
- Pieces per square (affects labor and number of fasteners)
- Roof slope & Structure height
- Installer labor (union vs non-union)
- Use of batten and/or counter batten system.
- Ludowici Roof Tiles do not require the use of batten or counter battens like most competitors’ clay and/or concrete products.
- Project location (region of country)